The Saxophone (Stephen Cottrell)
- Fast Worldwide Delivery + No Hidden Fees!
- Award Winning After Sales Service
In the first fully comprehensive study of one of the world's most iconic musical instruments, Stephen Cottrell examines the saxophone's full social, historical and cultural trajectory, and considers how and why this instrument, with its idiosyncratic shape and sound, should have become important for so many different music-makers around the world.
After considering what led inventor Adolph Sax to develop a new musical wind instrument, Cottrell explores changes in saxophone design over years and examines the instrument's role in a variety of contexts: the military bands that played a crucial role in the saxophone's global dissemination during the nineteenth century; the saxophone craze in American popular music around the turn of the twentieth century; in classical and contemporary art music; in world music; and of course in jazz, a musical style with which the saxophone has become closely identified.
This lovely hard back book makes a great gift for the sax player in your life!
All of our instruments are fully checked and set-up by our experienced technicians. Regardless of size or price - all saxophones go through the same process. Here at Sax.co.uk we know that when you buy a sax, our pro set up is absolutley essential to ensure the instrument you're purchasing is playing to it's optimum peformance.
In addition, all new saxophones purchased from us can be returned within a year for a FREE checkover to make sure your saxophone continues to perform its best.
Our 12-Step Checkover:
• All transit packing and corks from the manufacturer are removed.
• Thorough visual check for any imperfections in the finish, includes unlacquered saxophones.
• All pads checked for quality.
• All pad seatings checked using leak lights and traditional feeler paper methods.
• Regulation checked and adjusted.
• All key corks and felts checked, adjusted to set vent heights.
• All spring tensions checked and adjusted to create an even feel across the instrument.
• Neck fitting checked.
• Crook cork checked for cork quality and provided mouthpiece fits.
• Thorough play-test from top to bottom, including alternate fingerings.
• Case inspected for quality, instrument fit and accessories.
• Instrument cleaned and carefully repacked.
Delivery & Returns
FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER £75 TO UK MAINLAND
COMPETITIVE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES & PAY THE FINAL LANDED COST AT CHECKOUT!
If you're based overseas and would like more information, please read our overseas guide located here
Orders in stock and received before 2pm are normally shipped the same day. International orders are generally received in under 7 days.
Goods purchased online from www.sax.co.uk can be returned within 14 days of receipt. This does not apply to custom ordered goods, products where hygiene is concerned and product seals have been broken (reeds, mouthpieces etc), digital download codes or software licences. Goods purchased through our website cannot be returned to our retail stores.